Unf*ck Your Offseason
An advanced program for getting stronger, mentally and physically.
The beauty of Unf*ck Your Program is simple: it allows you to develop a training routine that works for you. Now, for many people – myself included – that might be a simple, straightforward linear periodization method. But others benefit from a few more bells and whistles. It doesn't matter whether that's because they respond better to a complicated program in a physiological or mental sense. All that matters is progress (and, of course, having fun).
The thing is, it can be really difficult to design a complicated program with many moving parts. So I've gone ahead and done the dirty work for you, and am sharing it now as a stand-alone offseason that can be used regardless of whether or not you use the Unf*ck Your Program methodology. Let me be very clear, though: I strongly suggest that you do use UYP alongside this plan so that you know how to make changes to it if necessary. In fact, I would guess that for most lifters, some changes will be necessary, so be prepared for that.
So that said, let's check out the highlights:
- It's a 6-week program, and you'll be training 5 days per week, with a mix of full-body and split workouts.
- Frequency is the name of the game. You'll be squatting and deadlifting twice a week (each), and benching three times per week.
- It's built around the competition lifts (bench press, squat, and deadlift) and close variations thereof.
- There's lots of room for customization here, especially when it comes to assistance exercises, and it can easily be used with nothing more than a well-equipped home gym.
- It's geared at powerlifting – not bodybuilding – and it's best suited for advanced lifters, or intermediates who are right on the cusp of moving to the next level.
- I really suggest you follow the program exactly as written and not make any changes until you've run through the whole thing at least once.
Again, I want to be really clear: this is one example of a program that you could design yourself using the full Unf*ck Your Program course. It's not meant to be the "perfect" offseason program — that doesn't exist! But I think this program will work for many lifters for a cycle, or two, or even three, and more importantly, I hope it demonstrates just how powerful UYP can be when applied thoughtfully and patiently.
Got questions? Feel free to contact me here and I'd be happy to help you out!
Ben is a professional powerlifter, US Open champion and all-time world record holder, and doctor of physical culture. Follow him on social media:
@phdeadlift on Instagram
Ben Pollack on YouTube